Monday, January 03, 2005

Change of target...

So it may seem by my last post that I was bashing the U.S. so I have decided to change targets if you will, and will focus instead on Russia...who beat the U.S. in hockey last night.

Ok, so I don't know how many of you are watching the World Junior Hockey championships on TSN this week but yes the U.S. got their butts handed to them by the Russians by a score of 7-2. I believe that the U.S. had a good team, except for their goaltending, let's face it Al Montoya sucked it up the whole tournament. And although I find some joy that the Americans got beat on their home soil, the after goal displays of the Russians made me wish that the U.S. had won. (What am I saying?) But seriously, after scoring the fifth and sixth goals in a game that was obviously out of reach for the Americans some of the Russians did something that deserves a punch in the face. They taunted the Americans. Now I realize that this is a sport and some of that stuff goes on all the time, trash talking, etc. but this was over the top. First they mocked the fans, and then proceeded to skate by the American bench and to taunt them repeatedly. This was uncalled for. And I applaud the American players for keeping generally cool through the whole thing. Sure I make fun of the States a bit, but one thing is for sure they showed some class in their response last night.

The Gold Medal game is tomorrow night at 9pm Atlantic time, and I assure you that I'll will be watching very intently. Let's go Canada!! Give it to those Russians!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

knights of columbus, you supported usa hockey!!
but, good point...the russians were being frigging idiots. so, canada will just beat the living crap out of them, and we all will watch with glee. and you will be there at my house to enjoy it. and we will hug.
stay classy...planet earth.