Friday, August 18, 2006

But Christians Use That Parking Lot...(See two posts ago)

This post is in response to some comments that were made on the "Parking Lot for Church Use Only" post.

For the most part I have to agree with what alot of people said in regards to the church as an organization is worried about preserving its beauty and how we are beginning to see a separation of the goats from the sheep. But I have to raise the question, who's making that separation?

Now don't get me wrong I believe that there is some genuine parting of the herd going on however I think sometimes (myself included) can be a little too quick to make that separation ourselves. Now I don't agree with the sign that the church here in town put up in their parking lot, but maybe in their minds they made a good choice based on what they know to be true. I've heard people complain about how the church is a door mat sometimes and that we should stand up a little bit and maybe that's what they were doing. Maybe they are just misled sheep.

So I guess the second question that I have is how do we help those sheep? I mean is it up to me to walk into the church and confront the pastor? I am sure that some people would say rebuking is the best way. Yet others would say that we need to just let that church die a natural death. Heck I've heard that said about a lot of churches lately. Why are we so quick to give up on our own people? No wonder people don't want anything to do with the church today. We split, can't agree, shut people out...maybe we as a younger generation need to be more open minded about things. We get so caught up in the "emerging" church and being "post modern" that sometimes we miss some things, like our roots. We want to cut of the foundation that we came from.

Yes we want to do things differently and that's ok. As time progresses the way that people need to be reached will have to change and evolve to our culture. However, for those of us that grew up in the church, we have had many good things instilled in us by the older generation that we seem to be so anxious to leave. Maybe we should try sticking around and learning some things from them, and you know what, I'm learning that they are at times more willing to learn then we are.

No comments: