Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Memoirs of a President

The other day I had the privilege of sweeping. Now I know that this may not seem like a big deal to anyone, however it was what was taking place around me as I was sweeping that made me feel privileged. As I was sweeping there was a meeting taking place in the cafeteria at our school with our school's President in attendance.

I have found myself, and others here at school, often making light of the fact that Prez, is never around, or that he doesn't even know that I go to this school...and I have been here for 3 1/2 years. (Our school is only 300 or so.) He talks about the new library and the athletic center, and we often say, "yeah, that's been 10 years in the planning". Resounding of hurt due to the fact that we won't be here when everything is done. But last night I became convicted of that.

The meeting that was taking place was for one of the building projects, I am not sure witch one, but I overheard Pres. Medders and some of what he was saying. Then it hit me, he's passionate about this school, about seeing it grow...he has a vision for this place. And I believe that vision is from God. I think that sometimes that I forget how hard at work he is on these projects, no wonder he is never here. I forget the great responsibility and resources it takes to do something like this, no wonder it has taken so long. But even through all these things, he has never lost sight of his vision from God. He still strives for it, even after setbacks.

I want a vision, and when I receive that vision for God I pray that I can have the ability to pursue it in the way that Prez does. I respect that man very much for all his hard work, and even if these projects aren't done until 2015, I will still feel the same way because he paved the way for it. Keep on truckin' Prez, keep on truckin'.

3 comments:

Kate Patterson said...

Hey hun, I agree with you 100%. Prez is an amazing leader and I have been blessed to be on Student Council this past year and was able to hear him speak about these visions. They are from God and he is an amazing man to continue to push forward throughout all the setbacks. oh and I love you!! I pray you get a vision, and God will raise you up to be a man of Him, with His visions! I love you again!!

Anonymous said...

YES JON!!
it's so true! i got very frustrated on many occassions as the RD because ignorant, rude children would constantly complain about the school and the faculty/staff--when they had absolutely no idea how hard the faculty/staff work to make bbc the best college possible for its students! how can you criticize people when you don't know what they do or where they are? prez is extremely passionate about bbc, and has taken the school from near death to thriving and growing. argh...thoughtless/useless criticism of people annoys me, especially when that person (prez) is obviously living out his calling from God by being the prez at BBC.

t4stywh34t said...

Ah, true, Brewer. The funny thing is, if BBC did give the students an opportunity to find out what was going on behind the scenes, I doubt many people would actually seize that opportunity. That's the way it runs at most every institution. There are a handful here who would take advantage of it (a handful out of 1300 people); but even the every-day opportunities (like having lunch with Dr. Chamberlain, which he makes himself very open for doing with students) are often passed over. It's sad. Yet another comment on modern Western society: gripe 'til you get something, loaf around when you do.

Bling.